Comics journalist, blogger and industry professional Laura Hudson stops by to talk about professionalism in comics journalism, women in comics, and her personal history of being a cashier at a comics store. Also, Matt Wilson stops by again, as we talk about a very special 1990’s comic phenomenon.
The Show Rundown
- Our guest: please read Laura Hudson’s work at Comics Alliance. Check her out on twitter here. Also, be sure you check out her series, “Don’t Be That Guy” on Comics Alliance.
- Marvel Swimsuit Pic 1: The Wasp
- Marvel Swimsuit Pic 2: Dr. Strange
- Marvel Swimsuit Pic 3: Captain America
- Read Andrew’s dead on review of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 at his site, Armagideon Time.
- For more examples of the de-nudifying effect, like artists turning thongs to bike shorts, check out this post from Dave’s Long Box.
- Check out Awesomed By Comics and their response to “W.R.A.” The beef is on, EVIE AND AARON.
- Check out Matt’s website, The ISS, here. Check out Matt on twitter here.
- Make sure you read Chris’s hilarious ongoing “Worst of Netflix” series on Heavy.com.
- If you like interview shows, check out my other podcast, The People You Don’t Know.
- I cannot believe I got this episode edited and this post up on time with the SPX madness this weekend. If I forgot something in the show notes, I’ll be updating it throughout the week. I just wanted to get the show up in time. I am going to collapse now.
We’re just three new kids on the block, swingin’ it, as Jeff Parker stops by to talk about his new title Underground, as well as his experiences working on Agents of Atlas, Thunderbolts, Mysterius: The Unfathomable, Interman, and everything else that he does. We intended to talk about the “Awesome Approach” to writing comics (Jeff’s choice), but really we just ended up talking about MODOK, Yo! MTV Raps, and the history of new jack swing. Also, a surprise guest in the imaginary studio, and Chris and Euge ramble about comics a lot.
The Show Rundown
- Our guest: for all things Jeff Parker, check out his website at Parkerspace. Also, follow him on twitter. BUY Jeff’s stuff as well on the sidebar or on Amazon. Seriously, he told us he really loves money.
- Check out Jeff and Steve Lieber’s new title, Underground, colored by Ron Chan. Go check out the website. This Steve Lieber guy may end up going places.
- Here’s the cover where all the Avengers become MODOKs. And here’s a pic of Truman Capote showing up in Age of Sentry.
- For a history on new jack swing, check this out.
- Please stay tuned to Between the Panels, hosted by William Goodman. We’ll end up on there soon enough.
- Big Ups: to Chris’s bromantic hater.
WAR ROCKET ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Chris has started a new series of posts at Heavy.com where he takes on the Worst of Netflix. Check it out.
- September 26-27, if you’re in the DC/MD area, please come to the Small Press Expo. For more information, check out the website. And be sure to keep an eye out for me (Eugene) and let me know you listen to War Rocket Ajax!
- Sorry about the awful voice I had this week. I’ve been recovering being sick this week, folks, which is why I kept mum during a lot of this ep. Send good vibes this way.
We’re back from our Labor Day break with artist and writer, Colleen Coover. Our topic is “All Ages,” as we talk to Colleen about writing for both younger and older audiences, ranging from the younger themed Banana Sunday to her more adult-oriented title Small Favors. We also talk about how our habits of comic buying and reading have changed since childhood, and have a long, detailed discussion about what it’s like working for Marvel, the distinctive traits of a monkey, and the concept of new jack swing. Also, a special guest stops by to address a hater.
- This Week’s Guest: If you want to find out more about Colleen Coover’s work, please go to her website here. Also, check out her books on Amazon.. We also cut out some discussion of it, but I highly recommend you read Colleen’s story, The Boogeyman, in the collection paperback, Sexy Chix. It is a gorgeously drawn and emotionally beautiful story, and is one of my favorites.
- Also be sure to check out Matt Wilson’s hilarious work at the great website, The International Society of Supervillains here.
- Jay-Z’s The Blueprint 3 is now available to actually, y’know, buy. Download it now.
- For reference: new jack swing.
- Please check out Tom Katers’ awesome podcast, Tom vs. The Flash here. Thanks for the mention, and congrats on the wedding, Tom!
- Check out the comics podcast, Awesomed by Comics here. Evie, we’ll work on shoving in that Tony! Toni! Tone! reference, I promise.
- To the Haters: Hey The Yellow Dart, big ups! Hey Chris’s hater, big ups!
- Also, please check out Chris and me on Episode 96 of Television Zombies, where we talk about Anita Blake! Thanks again to Chris Piers for the invite.
Our third episode welcomes comics scholar and pulp/victoriana master Jess Nevins to the show to talk about the details in comics. Which really boils down to Jess talking about things like the Golden Age Black Widow, Six Gun Gorilla, and what it’s like having Alan Moore as a friend.
- This Week’s Guest: If you want to find out more about Jess Nevins’ work, check out his website here, and his collected comic book annotations here. Also, check out Jess’s stuff on Amazon
- KRS One is writing a hip hop bible. Will you be a member of the new civilization? Thanks to KingOblivionPhD at the ISS for the heads up to our new world order.
- As if you need any more talk about Arkham Asylum, you get it.
- Seriously, you should check out issue 570 of The Fantastic Four, where Jonathan Hickman takes the writing helm. Read some of Chris’s thoughts at the ISB here.
- Read Andrew Hussie’s epic animated .gif adventures at MS Paint Adventures. Also, check out my interview with Ryan North, creator of Dinosaur Comics, over at PYDK Podcast!
- Check out Naoka Urasawa’s Monster for some great manga (are you happy Curt?!). Buy Volume 1 of Monster now!
- Correction(s): Thanks again to Gardner Linn for the correction on our Achewood discussion. Check out this strip to see Cartilage Head perform, whom we incorrectly identified as “Death” in last week’s ep. Thanks again, and check out Gardner’s comic Registered Weapon while you’re checking out some great webcomics.
- Once again, a big thanks to Jamillah Knowles of BBC 5Live’s show, Pods and Blogs, for the great mention and plug on the show and the site.
We’re back with our second episode, as we talk to Caitlin Kittredge, author of the Nocturne City novels and co-author of the superhero novel, Black and White. Since Caitlin’s a successful published author (and hardcore comics fan), we talk about dialogue and writing in comics, as Caitlin and Chris talk about their favorite lines of dialogue in comics, their writing processes for novels and comics, and the many reasons why Caitlin is NOT Alan Moore. (Artwork by Rusty Shackles – Click for full size)
- For more information on Caitlin and all her works, check out her website here. You can check out her vlog entry here.
- Buy Caitlin’s books on Amazon here!
- Check out Chris Onstad’s Achewood. Start here if you want to read the storyline Chris and I were talking about.
- Also, go get Achewood: The Great Outdoor Fight by ordering here. I ordered it after our discussion.
- Purchase Chris Yost’s Killer of Demons trade paperback, with Chris’s introduction, here.
- Tonight I gotta cut.
- Big Ups to All My Haters: Caitlin didn’t name names, but still, go to her livejournal. Maybe you can find her hater there (as of this posting, she is STILL not Alan Moore).
- No, but seriously, Alan Moore, Ed Brubaker, Warren Ellis, if you guys are listening feel free to leave a comment.
- Follow Chris , Euge and Rusty on twitter, and livetweet questions to us for all future guests!
CHECK OUT the BBC 5 Live show, Pods and Blogs, hosted by Jamillah Knowles (link)! Sorry we couldn’t get the scheduling right, Jamillah, hopefully you can have Chris and I on a future show!
In our historic first episode, Chris and Eugene talk about first issues and new beginnings with Matt Fraction, esteemed writer of The Uncanny X-Men, Invincible Iron Man, Casanova and many other titles. Hear the answers to the questions you’ve always pondered, such as: What comics did Chris and Eugene first purchase? What fan atrocities have been committed against comic and sci-fi writers? And what is Matt Fraction’s favorite new jack swing song? (click on the pic for full size art by Rusty Shackles)
- For more information on Mr. Fraction and all his work, check out his website at mattfraction.com. He is also on twitter at @mattfraction.
- The webcomic Matt was referencing was from Chainsawsuit.com. Specifically, this one. I suppose if you want to read Let’s Be Friends Again, then you can go to their website. But they didn’t draw a comic about Locutus of Borg, so screw them.
- Big Ups To All My Haters – hate on it.
- Follow Chris and Euge on twitter, and livetweet questions to us for all future guests!
- iTunes feed will be up soon. Apple has to approve of our awesomeness before it goes live to the iTunes podcast store. For now, just enjoy the site and keep staring at Rusty’s awesome banner.