Our third episode welcomes comics scholar and pulp/victoriana master Jess Nevins to the show to talk about the details in comics. Which really boils down to Jess talking about things like the Golden Age Black Widow, Six Gun Gorilla, and what it’s like having Alan Moore as a friend.
- This Week’s Guest: If you want to find out more about Jess Nevins’ work, check out his website here, and his collected comic book annotations here. Also, check out Jess’s stuff on Amazon
- KRS One is writing a hip hop bible. Will you be a member of the new civilization? Thanks to KingOblivionPhD at the ISS for the heads up to our new world order.
- As if you need any more talk about Arkham Asylum, you get it.
- Seriously, you should check out issue 570 of The Fantastic Four, where Jonathan Hickman takes the writing helm. Read some of Chris’s thoughts at the ISB here.
- Read Andrew Hussie’s epic animated .gif adventures at MS Paint Adventures. Also, check out my interview with Ryan North, creator of Dinosaur Comics, over at PYDK Podcast!
- Check out Naoka Urasawa’s Monster for some great manga (are you happy Curt?!). Buy Volume 1 of Monster now!
- Correction(s): Thanks again to Gardner Linn for the correction on our Achewood discussion. Check out this strip to see Cartilage Head perform, whom we incorrectly identified as “Death” in last week’s ep. Thanks again, and check out Gardner’s comic Registered Weapon while you’re checking out some great webcomics.
- Once again, a big thanks to Jamillah Knowles of BBC 5Live’s show, Pods and Blogs, for the great mention and plug on the show and the site.
We’re back with our second episode, as we talk to Caitlin Kittredge, author of the Nocturne City novels and co-author of the superhero novel, Black and White. Since Caitlin’s a successful published author (and hardcore comics fan), we talk about dialogue and writing in comics, as Caitlin and Chris talk about their favorite lines of dialogue in comics, their writing processes for novels and comics, and the many reasons why Caitlin is NOT Alan Moore. (Artwork by Rusty Shackles – Click for full size)
- For more information on Caitlin and all her works, check out her website here. You can check out her vlog entry here.
- Buy Caitlin’s books on Amazon here!
- Check out Chris Onstad’s Achewood. Start here if you want to read the storyline Chris and I were talking about.
- Also, go get Achewood: The Great Outdoor Fight by ordering here. I ordered it after our discussion.
- Purchase Chris Yost’s Killer of Demons trade paperback, with Chris’s introduction, here.
- Tonight I gotta cut.
- Big Ups to All My Haters: Caitlin didn’t name names, but still, go to her livejournal. Maybe you can find her hater there (as of this posting, she is STILL not Alan Moore).
- No, but seriously, Alan Moore, Ed Brubaker, Warren Ellis, if you guys are listening feel free to leave a comment.
- Follow Chris , Euge and Rusty on twitter, and livetweet questions to us for all future guests!
CHECK OUT the BBC 5 Live show, Pods and Blogs, hosted by Jamillah Knowles (link)! Sorry we couldn’t get the scheduling right, Jamillah, hopefully you can have Chris and I on a future show!
In our historic first episode, Chris and Eugene talk about first issues and new beginnings with Matt Fraction, esteemed writer of The Uncanny X-Men, Invincible Iron Man, Casanova and many other titles. Hear the answers to the questions you’ve always pondered, such as: What comics did Chris and Eugene first purchase? What fan atrocities have been committed against comic and sci-fi writers? And what is Matt Fraction’s favorite new jack swing song? (click on the pic for full size art by Rusty Shackles)
- For more information on Mr. Fraction and all his work, check out his website at mattfraction.com. He is also on twitter at @mattfraction.
- The webcomic Matt was referencing was from Chainsawsuit.com. Specifically, this one. I suppose if you want to read Let’s Be Friends Again, then you can go to their website. But they didn’t draw a comic about Locutus of Borg, so screw them.
- Big Ups To All My Haters – hate on it.
- Follow Chris and Euge on twitter, and livetweet questions to us for all future guests!
- iTunes feed will be up soon. Apple has to approve of our awesomeness before it goes live to the iTunes podcast store. For now, just enjoy the site and keep staring at Rusty’s awesome banner.